Join today!Dakota Rural Action is a member-based organization. Your membership and contributions support work being done to protect family agriculture and natural resources in South Dakota. Click here to join.
- The Legal Case Against HB 1140 March 1, 2016We've talked about why HB 1140 is bad for farmers and agriculture. But what about the bill itself, and what if it makes it into law? Kelsea Sutton, an attorney in South Dakota, breaks it down for us.
- Charlie Johnson and the Future of Farming February 18, 2016Join us this week as we talk with Charlie Johnson, a large-scale organic farmer here in South Dakota. The future of farming is diverse, bright - and put at risk by legislation like HB 1140.
- HB 1008 and Transgender Rights: Perspective of a School Board Member February 12, 2016Dakota Rural Voices hosts Randy Grimsley, Brookings School Board member and Brookings native, to talk about HB 1008, the controversial bill that would prevent transgender students from using the facilities in school that match their gender identity. Listen in to learn more about the bill (and others) targeting the LGBT community in our great state.
- Sun Power - Renewable Energy in South Dakota in 2016 February 5, 2016Wondering if we're further ahead on solar power in 2016? Find out in our conversation with Dennis Williams of Williams Power Systems.
- Get Off the Road, Cyclists! Kidding, You Can Stay. January 29, 2016HB 1073, brought by Republican Representative Mike Verchio from Hill City, South Dakota, would have required cyclists dismount and get off the road if someone in a car wanted to pass. The bill understandably brought out the cycling community in force. Listen today as two bike activists, Michael Christensen and Jessica Andrews, as they talk […]
- Legalizing Hemp, with Senator Troy Heinert and Farmer Danny Dyck January 22, 2016What's the big deal about hemp? Find out with state Senator Troy Heinert and local farmer Danny Dyck as we talk with them about HB 1054, which would legalize the plant in South Dakota.
- What Is the State of South Dakota? January 14, 2016On Tuesday, January 12, South Dakota Governor Dennis Daugaard opened the state's 2016 legislative session with the State of the State Address. Dakota Rural Voices is here with your analysis and your FIRST podcast of the 2016 session! Don't forget to tune in LIVE to KSDJ 90.7 in Brookings every Thursday at 1pmCT, or stream […]
- The CAFO vs. the Family Farm in South Dakota February 13, 2015Join us today as we talk with Nancy Kirstein, Dakota Rural Action member and farmer. Nancy and her husband run the Good Earth Farm, and we spoke with her about some CAFO legislation going through in Pierre this year, and about the future of agriculture in South Dakota.
- Uranium Mining in the Black Hills February 6, 2015Dakota Rural Action members Becky Leas and Gardner Gray talk about the proposed Dewey-Burdock Project, an in situ leach uranium mine proposal in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota. Why, with so many downsides, is the project still on the table?
- Renewable Energy in South Dakota January 30, 2015Today we hear from Dennis Williams of Williams Power Systems in Sioux Falls about the promises - and barriers - to small-scale electric generation in South Dakota. The Legislature will be talking about these systems this year, and Dennis geeks out a bit with us to share why these systems are so important to our […]
- The Legal Case Against HB 1140 March 1, 2016
DRA on YouTube